Back up the registry manually, or create a restore point.
- Click Start, type regedit.exe in the search box, and then press Enter. If you're prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- In Registry Editor, locate and click the registry key or subkey that you want to back up.
- Click File > Export.
- In the Export Registry File dialog box, select the location to which you want to save the backup copy, and then type a name for the backup file in the File name field.
- Click Save.
- Right-click the Start button, then select Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System.
- In the left pane, select System protection.
- Select the System Protection tab, and then select Create.
- In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then select Create.
Restore the information based on which backup method you used.
- Right-click the Start button, then select Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Backup and Restore.
- Select either Restore my files or Restore all users' files.
- In the Import Registry File box, select the location in which you saved the backup copy, select the backup file, and then click Open.